Skip to main content

Kenya, 2011


In Latin America, fifteen is the coming-of-age celebration for young women, similar to the sweet sixteen celebrations in the United States. When I turned fifteen, my parents gave me a choice  between having a birthday party or taking a trip. Without a second thought, I chose a trip to Kenya to see the annual wildlife migration in the Serengeti's great plains, the elephants in front of the Kilimanjaro, and the crocodiles eating wildebeest while crossing the Mara River. These experiences opened my eyes to how the circle of life works. Nature does not waste anything. The Masai people also showed me how wisely they use the scarce resources around them.

Less than half a century ago, Kenya was a very popular hunting spot among wealthy people from Europe and the United States who were seeking to kill "The Big Five." These included elephants, lions, rhinoceros, buffaloes, and leopards because of they supposedly posed a threat to the hunters's lives.

Luckily, times have changed, at least in Kenya, and the only way to legally "shoot" the "Big Five" is with a camera. On this trip, I had the chance to capture the "Big Five" with my own pictures. At the beginning, I only found four of the five targets. I was missing the rhinoceros! By the end of the trip, I thought I was going to have to leave without seeing it. With a great deal of luck and patience, I left Kenya with the pleasure of seeing this magnificent animal whose horn is coveted to be sold to superstitious people that use it for "medicinal purposes."

This trip not only showed me the magnificent animals that Kenya has to offer the world and, despite rampant poverty, its people taught me to appreciate what I have. They also taught me to be more aware of the need to protect nature not just for the animals but also for the people that depend on it. I hope you enjoy the sample of the best photos (among hundreds that I took) I uploaded to share. 

Cuando cumplí quince años, mis padres me dieron a elegir si quería una "fiesta rosada" o un safari. No lo dudé ni un minuto y escogí el viaje a Kenya, África. Ver la migración anual en las llanuras del parque Serengeti, los elefantes al pie del Kilimanjaro o los cocodrilos devorando ñues en el dramático cruce del río Mara, fueron experiencias inolvidables porque abrieron mis ojos a cómo funciona el círculo de la vida. La naturaleza no desperdicia nada, al igual que lo hace la gente del pueblo Masai, que me mostró lo sabiamente que utiliza los escasos recursos a su alcance.

Hasta hace menos de medio siglo era muy popular entre la gente adinerada de Europa y Estados Unidos viajar hasta allá para cazar a los llamados "Cinco grandes". Los "Cinco grandes" eran llamados así por los supuesto peligros que debían afrontar los cazadores, e incluían a elefantes, leones, rinocerontes, búfalos y leopardos.

Pero por suerte y la menos allí, ahora la única forma de "dispararles" legalmente es con una cámara. Y en este viaje tuve la suerte de poder capturar a mis propios "Cinco grandes" en fotos. Al principio sólo encontré a cuatro y me faltaba el rinoceronte, y para al final del viaje ya me estaba haciendo la idea de que me iba a ir sin ver el quinto. Con mucha suerte y paciencia, pude irme de Kenya después de haber visto una pareja de estas maravillosas bestias cuyo cuerno es codiciado para ser vendido a gente supersticiosa.

Este viaje no sólo me mostró los animales magníficos que hay en Kenya y la pobreza en que su gente vive, pero también me enseñó a valorar lo que tengo y a ser más consciente con la necesidad de proteger la naturaleza para que también la gente pueda vivir mejor.
Espero que disfruten de estas pocos fotos que puse, entre las centenares que tomé.




















    
                 












Comments

  1. Great choice about that place. I can see magic in that pics. thats animal look amazing. thanks for share.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I hope you subscribe so you can keep seeing dope pictures!

      Delete
  2. Me gustaron mucho las fotos y los comentarios. Voy a seguir tus aventuras!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Muchas gracias (: espero que te hayas subscrito para que puedas recibir notificaciones cuando publique nuevas entradas! Besitos

      Delete
  3. Me gustaron mucho las fotos y los comentarios. Voy a seguir tus aventuras!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Qué hermosas fotos!!! muy buenos viajes, pronto nos toca un viaje a las 2 juntas. Te quiero.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Myanmar, 2016

Welcome to my blog! This is my first blog entry where I will show you my favorite moments and pictures of Myanmar.  I decided to choose this country as my first entry because it has been one of the most amazing trips I have ever taken. In this country, despite the striking material poverty that is in your face, what truly barrages the senses is the kindness, the happiness, the ethnic diversity, the endurance, the landscapes, and people's desire to improve their quality of life.  Myanmar was under a military dictatorship for 49 years during which time the people were oppressed and deprived of liberties. Once the dictatorship ended around 6 years ago, the country opened their doors to tourism.  Even though there was a great suffering during the dictatorship, the people of Myanmar are considered one of the happiest of the world.  I found this to be true since I met so many amazing people who were kind to me and who always had a smile on their face. This made me feel ver

Galápagos, 2016

The Galápagos Islands, or the “Enchanted” islands, as its better known, has had a huge influence in the science community. The first written theory of evolution was completed by Charles Darwin in his expedition to the islands on the Beagle ship. When the English naturalist arrived in the Galápagos, he noticed that there was unique wildlife that he had not seen before in other countries, and it was exceptionally intriguing because the islands are far from the continent. He was fascinated with the various finches on each island, which had different beak sizes and he determined were used for different feeding purposes. He sent a sample of each of these species back to England. Upon his arrival, English scientists confirmed that all of these species had a common genetic origen. However, each species adapted to different biological conditions on each island in order to survive. This discovery led Darwin to conclude that life has evolved and changed over millennia.  When I first stepped